Simple, sweet and delicious. What a tart!
I had some puff pastry lying around in the fridge and it was a month out of date (don’t judge), but I hate waste. Like really hate it, so I just had to make something with it.
I’m also obsessed with caramelised onions at the moment. They work so well with pretty much anything savoury. I put them in a venison and sweet potato cottage pie the other night, and we always have them on top of sausages with gravy.
The diversity of this dish is it’s winning streak though; make minis for a perfect canape, one big tart for a family meal, or these individual tartlets to keep and eat for various meals throughout the week.
- 4 large red onions
- Runny Honey
- Feta Cheese (as much as you like)
- Ready made Puff Pastry
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- First you’ll need to chop and cook the onions – Peel the onions first, then chop them in half. With the sliced half facing the chopping board, slice the onion into about 5mm wide slices until they have all been chopped.
- Splash a dash of oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add your onions. You will need to constantly stir this to stop them from frying or burning.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and continue to stir until the onions have gone golden brown in colour and are soft. If you feel they could do with a bit more honey, pop it in!
- Next you’ll need to chop your feta into manageable chunks. You can really put as much feta as you want on the tarts, it is a matter of preference.
- When your onions and feta are prepped and ready to go, you’ll want to get your pastry out of the fridge (at the last minute, so it doesn’t start melting in the warm room like mine did…) Cut it into squares to a size that you want and pop them on a lined baking tray.
- Top with the caramelised onions and feta, but leave a 5mm/1cm pastry edge around to stop the filling spilling. (she’s a poet and she didn’t know it!)
- The tartlets need to go in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Top them with some fresh rocket and serve.
So easy and quick!