28/08/2014

The Moor

In the middle of Devon, is a vast expanse of green desert. Vastly unexplored, it's beauty drags you in. Urging you to walk deeper into the centre.

The green blanket of foliage is held down by piles of rock that stand taller than you or I. A Giant must have placed them there carefully over the centuries.

When you climb to the very top of these rock piles, you can see for miles. On a good day, you can see so far that the curvature of the earth is even visible. It is a sight to behold.

Standing up here, on top of the world, the wind grabs you. Trying to rip you right off the rock by your ankles. You hold tight and smile victoriously. Stretching your arms until your fingertips feel like they can touch the clouds.

The buzz of the city is so far away up here. No phone signal. Just you and the horizon with nothing but stunning views in between.

As you begin to make the long, winding return back down the Tor, you jump from rock to rock. Pretending that, should you land on the grass, the earth will split and swallow you up.

Lower down, out of the wind, the grass gets longer. Streams and pools cut through the landscape, letting gravity take them towards towns and civilisation. But, you don't join them yet. You're too busy watching the foals frolic on the moor.

Sheep bow their heads to munch grass, taking it in turns to look up and survey the area, while cows moo at them lazily.

On the way home, you fall asleep in the car, dreaming of being free.

Then you realise.

The Moor stole your heart too.

Share:

43 comments

1. Beautifully written and wonderful photos!!

Lots of love,

Angie

SilverSpoon London

2. Scarlett Wonderland8/28/2014 1:26 pm

Gorgeous photos!! And your brother looks SO much like the one from One Direction!!! x

ReplyDelete
  3. That is breathtaking!! So beautiful! I love looking at all your pictures :) And that necklace is perfect!

ReplyDelete
  4. This place looks pretty stunning! Sidenote, but I really love your outfit too :)

ReplyDelete
  5. This spot looks like my home province of Newfoundland Canada! I love your photos and your gorgeous pup.

6. it's so beautiful! Wonderful photos and family ♥

7. Michelle Chouinard8/28/2014 8:40 pm

Looks like a beautiful day. I want to find a rock structure with jewelry lying on it! ;-)

ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Makes me miss the UK. We went there two years ago for a family vacation in Scotland.

ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful!! And peaceful! Looks like a lovely day!

ReplyDelete
  10. Your pictures are stunning. I would love to just sit out there and read. It looks so peaceful.

11. Karissa Ancell8/29/2014 3:32 am

Amazing pictures. Looks like everyone had fun.

ReplyDelete
  12. Your pictures are gorgeous! I would love to visit there one day.

ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! Looks like such a relaxing place!

ReplyDelete
  14. What a great view! :) I love places like this. I love the photos with the wind in your hair too.

15. Michelle Snow8/29/2014 8:47 am

This is fantastic. Both the photos and the writing.

16. Haha I'll tell him! - I'm not actually sure he's ever had that one! <3

ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Chelsea! It's my neighbours husbands old jumper (probably a good 50 years old at least) it's been passed from my sister to my mum, back to me! <3

ReplyDelete
  18. Really?! It's so funny how somewhere all the way over the other side of the world can look so similar! <3

19. Haha It can be arranged Michelle ;) <3

ReplyDelete
  20. I used to live in Edinburgh in Scotland. It's such a gorgeous place. Haven't been back in years though! I'm more Scottish than I am English funnily enough! <3

21. You book might get blown away ;) but it is lovely! <3

22. Thanks Michelle, I thought I'd do something a little different :) <3

23. Amazing photos!

Have a nice weekend! XX

www.floortjeloves.com

www.facebook.com/floortjeloves

ReplyDelete
  24. such unique beauty to this place! i love the contrast between the wild landscape and the delicate jewelries!

25. Carly Anderson8/29/2014 3:22 pm

Wow, what a breathtaking view! Thank you for sharing these gorgeous photos with us!

ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous pictures in a magnificent location!

27. Kristine Foley8/29/2014 5:15 pm

Holy gorgeous views! Adding this magical place to our bucket list!

ReplyDelete
  28. These are some great shots and I love your ring.

29. Wow. Great pics!!!
    Have a great weekend!

Dee from www.thecsiproject.com

ReplyDelete
  30. Incredible photos! Your ring is so pretty!

ReplyDelete
  31. This place looks so cool, and it does look very windy!

32. wow the scene is beautiful, love the dogs

ReplyDelete
  33. Great photos! What a beautiful place! I love the dogs too, spaniels are my favorite:)

34. Joanna Sormunen8/30/2014 7:09 pm

The sky looks amazing in the pics! What a fabulous day you must have had!

ReplyDelete
  35. Haha was a very spur of the moment thing - I was just playing with my camera! <3

36. You're very welcome Carly, I'm glad you like them :) <3

37. They are gorgeous aren't they? Such bubbly, beautiful personalities! <3

ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous photos! I love being on the top of a mountain like that and feeling so free and big enough to conquer the world. Looks like you had a great time! Beautiful group of people!

ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful photos, you've really captured the beauty.

Looks like the perfect way to spend a day!

ReplyDelete
  40. Oh wow! It looks gorgeous! Such awesome pictures. I want to visit. It looks so peaceful.

ReplyDelete
  41. Woah, these pictures are awesome! Such pretty skies and cute puppies!

42. Ayana Pitterson9/02/2014 3:39 am

Fantastic capture of the landscape in these pictures. Makes me want to be there to experience it at once.

Thrifting Diva
    www.thriftingdiva.com

ReplyDelete

© Kalanchoe | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig